I am really nervous about going to my local Hindu Temple. I think I have a fear of rejection and my situation is feeding it at the moment. It would be wonderful to get over this but I’m not sure how.
What is my fear?
- I really don’t want to offend anyone by doing something wrong or even by just being there.
- I don’t have any Hindu friends to go with.
- What if I make a complete fool of myself while I am there?
- I have been told that non-Hindus cannot be Hindus?
- What happens if I can’t understand what anyone is saying to me?
Why do I want to go to temple?
Well, I adore many of the gods, especially Ganesha, Shiva & Parvati, Saraswati, Lakshmi and over the last two years I have read as much as I can about Hinduism and I feel that it is the truth, I am comfortable with it and it represents what I believe. The things I have learnt I have felt comfortable taking on board and I’ve not felt the need to challenge things in the way that I have with the other religions that I have looked at, all be it much more briefly than Hinduism. Going to Temple solidifies my belief. I want to take steps to develop spiritually. This has been a long journey for me so far.
The story of the man and his donkey comes to mind now. 🙂
This blog gets read by lots of people, what do you think? Am I justified in my concerns? I would especially like to hear from Hindus.